Medical Mystery.

At some point last year, we noticed that James had a small blueish bump on the knuckle of his index finger. His doctor assured us those kinds of things pop up all the time in infants and will disappear just as quickly.  It’s grown in proportion as he’s grown and his doctor finally suggested we talk to a dermatologist. So at 7:00 this morning, we packed up a still sleepy James and headed into Houston to Texas Children’s Hospital.  After speaking with a nurse and a medical student…

“No it doesn’t seem to bother him or cause any pain…”
“No I don’t think it’s hindering the use of his finger…”

I came to the conclusion that my tendency to worry too much struck again. As I sat in the exam room, slightly mortified that I still had to have the same conversation with the actual dermatologist, I started to wonder if we would be the most boring case she saw all day.  When she finally arrived,  I was worried. She was very sweet and very professional. She examined his finger and said “Well, I can tell you that it’s nothing terrible.” Which was a relief but I’d never thought about it that way.  She explained that there is in fact something very similar that is very common in infants but this one doesn’t seem to be the case. Then she admitted that she wasn’t actually sure what it was.  What she is sure of, is that it likely would not go away on it’s own if it hasn’t already. And that it’s not a cyst. I’m pretty sure she would know if it was a cyst.   So now the next step is to have an ultrasound done to determine what it’s connected to inside. She’d like to know if there is blood flow in and out of it before they cut into it obviously.

While we waited to see if we could have an ultrasound done today, the med student came back in. This time he brought a friend and a camera. “Do you mind if we take a photo of his finger for reference since we’re not sure what it is yet?”  I kind of giggled and said it was okay. I told James the nice doctor was going to take a picture of his finger because it’s just such a special finger!  At this point it was 11am and all of us needed a nap and to not be sitting in the clinic. We weren’t able to get in to imaging today so we have to call and make another appointment. How annoying!

James fell asleep for 25 minutes on the drive home. We got in to Lake Jackson at noon and I suggested chick fil a for lunch since it was such a trying morning for all of us.  We ordered James a kids meal, half expecting him to hate it. He ate all of it. All of it! 4 chicken nuggets and a small fry.  I think it’s safe to say I don’t have to spend all my money on baby food anymore.

We put James down for a nap as soon as we got home and he’s been asleep ever since. I would normally have woken him by now but my house looked like a hurricane went through it….again.  So I spent the better part of the afternoon cleaning up most of the house while both of my boys napped. Must be nice.

Our bedroom is nearing completion! All we need to do now is paint the door and install the new trim boards.  It’s going to have to wait because we’re flat broke right now.  The room looks so much bigger! Which means you can tell we had NOTHING hanging on the walls. I get to see if I’m any good at decorating. Probably not. Bring on the tacky!

Here are a couple of photos.

The offending bump.

I look about 12 feet tall.


Tags: , ,

4 Responses to “Medical Mystery.”

  1. PrincessJenn Says:

    What a brave little boy (and Mommy!). Glad to hear it’s nothing serious. Keep us posted when you find out more.
    And yay for eating big boy food!

  2. Caity Says:

    Aww I hope it’s nothing too bad. I’m sure they will figure it out and take good care of him. I can’t believe Wames ate all his lunch! That is so cool!

    Your room looks awesome, by the way. I saw the photo on flickr.

  3. giveherlove Says:

    I’m glad that it’s nothing too serious!

    I love love love the wood floors.

  4. Medical Mystery (part deux) « Leigh's Blog Says:

    […] By leighish29 So today we whisked James away to Texas’ Children’s Hospital for an ultrasound on his finger.  He was remarkably calm while in the waiting room and on the way through the hospital, but once […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: